OAKDALE – A 28 year old man was arrested following a stabbing at an apartment complex that left one victim dead and two others wounded Wednesday morning.
Officers with the Oakdale Police Department responded to a report of a stabbing at about 10:48am at an apartment building near the corner of South 6th and G Streets. Arriving officers located several stabbing victims, and an individual upstairs that ran into an apartment unit. That individual was identified as a suspect according to Oakdale Police Chief Scott Heller, who also responded to the scene.
Officers called to the suspect to exit and surrender but he refused to come out of the apartment. Additional resources were called to the scene, including assistance from outside agencies. The Stanislaus County Sheriff SWAT team, along with several deputies, arrived to offer help with the situation. At one point the barricaded suspect tossed firecrackers or some type of explosive out of an open window.
Authorities used “less than lethal” rounds to disable surveillance cameras around the apartment, while they continued their attempts to reason with the suspect. He eventually agreed to surrender during the noon hour, exiting the apartment with his hands up. He was taken into custody without further incident.
Two women were rushed to the hospital for treatment of injuries. A man in his late 30’s was pronounced deceased at the scene from wounds consistent with the attack.
“Officers exercised extreme restraint during the incident, trying to call the suspect out of the apartment while he was being uncooperative, throwing explosive firework devices,” Chief Heller said. “He eventually did give up.”
Chief Heller identified the suspect as 28 year old George Grass. He was booked on charges including homicide, domestic violence, resisting, arson, and assault with a deadly weapon. He was held without bail and awaited a court date.
The events leading up to the stabbing, the weapon used, and the relationship between all individuals involved remained under investigation.
Schools Locked Down for Suspect Search
MODESTO – Two schools were placed on lockdown during a search for a suspect Friday afternoon.
The incident happened at about 1:00pm when a Stanislaus County Sheriff Deputy noticed a vehicle that had been reported stolen on Dallas Street near Glenn Avenue. The driver of the stolen vehicle appeared to be talking to someone in the area, according to officials at the scene.
The driver ran away on foot as deputies made their approach. The man jumped fences through a yard and fled into an alleyway. The Stanislaus Sheriff Air Unit spotted the man making his way into a yard on Las Vegas Street.
Bret Harte Elementary and Hanshaw Middle School were placed on lockdown as a search team was organized. Within a few minutes the man was located hiding under a vehicle and quickly detained without incident.
By 2:00pm the lockdowns were lifted. No injuries were reported.
Stockton Police Investigate Fatal Shooting
STOCKTON – Police investigated the fatal shooting of a man in broad daylight Tuesday afternoon.
At about 3:30pm Officers responded to the 900 block of Porter Avenue for a report of a shooting. A 29 year old man was found at the scene suffering from at least one gunshot wound. He was taken by ambulance to a hospital where he died from his injuries.
Residents in the area reported hearing a gunshot shortly before police arrived.
Porter Avenue was closed by authorities while detectives responded to investigate the case. No suspect information or motive was available Tuesday night.
Anyone with information regarding this case is encouraged to contact police at (209) 937-8377 or Crime Stoppers at (209) 946-0600 where callers can remain anonymous.
Woman Involved in Amber Alert Found Safe
MODESTO – The woman involved in a recent Amber Alert that involved children and a suspect found in Modesto was found safe Monday, authorities said.
Mariela Costello, 32, was found safe although further details regarding her location were not provided.
Costello was identified as a previously unreported missing person by the Riverside County Sheriff’s Office. Out of state relatives became concerned when they did not hear from her sometime around September 16th.
Investigators turned their focus on 34 year old Nicholas Zeko who told authorities he left the woman in Moreno Valley, but kept her wallet and cell phone. Authorities issued an Amber Alert after Zeko fled with their two children, claiming their lives were in imminent danger.
Zeko and the two children were found in Modesto at the Tiki Lodge on McHenry Avenue. A Modesto Police officer noticed his SUV that had its trim freshly painted. Zeko was quickly detained without incident.
News1 year ago
Major Crash Investigated in Tracy
Traffic12 months ago
Child Airlifted From Ceres Car Crash
Traffic11 months ago
Police Investigate Major Crash in Modesto
News10 months ago
Two Arrested in Child’s Death
News8 months ago
Fundraiser Established For Ceres Homicide Victim
News1 year ago
Stabbing Investigated in South Modesto
News1 year ago
Missing Modesto Woman Found Safe
News9 months ago
Double Shooting Investigated in Ceres