MODESTO – Police arrested two people on charges related to child abuse after a child was found with injuries.
Authorities say police responded to an apartment complex on the 1900 block of Oakdale Road for a medical call. Arriving officers found medics and firefighters providing care to a seven year old boy. The child was rushed to a hospital for care. Police say the boy exhibited serious injuries consistent with abuse.
Police arrested the child’s mother, 35 year old Jovonna Cruz along with her boyfriend, 41 year old Eyvar Rivera. Police also said that Cruz was additionally charged with great bodily injury.
A GoFundMe account and social media posts circulating the web show images of the child named David intubated, and exhibiting bruises on the head, arms and legs.
“The doctors say his body is too weak to fight, he went too long without oxygen and now has no brain activity,” the GoFundme account said.
Relatives set up the GoFundMe account in hopes to raise funds for whatever services David may need, and for legal fees to try to gain custody of his sister.
Anyone interested in donating to the GoFundMe account can do so by CLICKING HERE. (Warning: photos of the child are graphic.)
Armed Suspect Captured After Pursuit, Crash
STOCKTON – A pursuit involving an armed suspect ended in a collision Monday evening.
At about 6:33pm an officer tried to pull over a vehicle and recognized the motorist as someone who was on post release community supervision for gun charges. The driver did not stop and led the officer on a pursuit.
The suspect vehicle collided into a pole near the intersection of East Miner Avenue and North Pilgrim Street. The Stockton Police vehicle behind the suspect collided into the duplex on the corner.
The officer in the vehicle and one occupant of the home were taken to a hospital to be treated for minor injuries.
Police say the suspect was apprehended and found with a firearm in his possession. Their identity was not available Monday night.
Stanislaus State University Warns Students And Staff about Positive COVID-19 Cases Present on Campus
TURLOCK – Safety and Risk Management with the Stanislaus State University Campus in Turlock said two persons who tested positive for COVID-19 were present on campus and warned students and staff about potential exposure.
The university said via an email that on January 15th they received notice two persons previously on campus had tested positive for COVID-19.
The first person was on campus from Monday, January 11th to the 13th from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on the second floor of the Demergasso-Bava Hall which houses the departments of business, communications, cognitive studies, liberal studies, education and computer science. The campus newspaper, The Signal and the radio station, KCSS are located at the Demergasso-Bava Hall as well.
Stanislaus State said in the email sent out to students and faculty that the person was present at the restrooms and mailroom on the second floor of the hall.
The second person was on campus Wednesday, January 13th at the shipping and receiving warehouse between 8:00am and 5:00pm, the warehouse restrooms near the break rooms, and the Mary Stuart Rogers Building shipping and receiving elevator at about 3:30pm.
The university also mentioned that students or faculty who were at the same locations may or may not have been exposed to the virus. They mentioned no action was required for those who felt they were not exposed and that an exposure investigation was underway. Those who were considered to be in close contact were told they would receive an additional notification.
Anyone who possibly came into contact with the persons infected on campus was asked to complete the Stan State COVID -19 Reporting Form and can contact the Stan State COVID-19 Response Team by email at email@example.com or by phone at (209) 664-6500.
Fundraiser Established For Ceres Homicide Victim
CERES – Authorities identified 18-year-old Miguel Peña of Ceres, known as Sebastián to his family, as the homicide victim from Monday.
Sebastián was a passenger of a vehicle with two other occupants on Malik Drive near Strawberry Fields Park Monday night, when another vehicle drove by and opened fire. Sebastián was struck several times, another occupant was struck in the arm.
Just two months before his death, Sebastián had lost his mother after a hard fought battle with cancer.
“Two months ago we suffered the great loss of my mother, who fought tirelessly with cancer and sadly lost the battle. Today my family is in mourning again after the loss of my younger brother Miguel Ángel Sebastián Peña,” said Fabiola Peña, one of Sebastián’s older sisters in a GoFundMe fundraiser.
Police say Sebastián underwent surgery but passed away a few days after the shooting. Peña says her family is left with enormous pain and emptiness.
“With heart in hand we ask you to help us with whatever you can; either financially or with your prayers. Family and friends, the Peña family. We need you more than ever.”
Anyone who would like to help the Peña family can do so by CLICKING HERE.
The Ceres Police Department is continuing to investigate and ask anyone with information or surveillance video to contact Officer Brian Petersen at (209) 538-5627. If callers wish to remain anonymous they can contact Crime Stoppers at (209) 521-4636 or 1-866-602-7463.
News4 months ago
Major Crash Investigated in Tracy
Traffic3 months ago
Police Investigate Major Crash in Modesto
News2 months ago
Two Arrested in Child’s Death
News5 months ago
Loved Ones Mourn Loss of Ceres Woman Killed in Shooting
News5 months ago
Missing Modesto Woman Found Safe
Traffic4 months ago
Two Killed in Highway 132 Crash
Traffic5 months ago
Highway Shut Down for Police Activity
News1 week ago
Double Shooting Investigated in Ceres