Connect with us

News

Demonstration Held in Protest of Modesto Officer Involved in Fatal Shooting

Carlos Rodriguez

Published

on

MODESTO – A demonstration was held Saturday in protest against the Modesto Police Officer involved in the shooting death of a man on December 29th.

About 100 or so people gathered in front of the police department near the intersection of 10th and G Streets at about 11:00am. Many held signs urging justice for Trevor Seever, who was 29 years old. Seever was shot by Joseph Lamantia, who has been an officer with the department for 12 years. Many in attendance voiced their criticism against Lamantia, who was previously involved in several other shootings during his time at the department.

Police responded to the 2300 block of Woodland Avenue in Modesto on the day of occurrence, after receiving a 911 call from relatives of Seever’s. The 911 call was made by Seever’s sister, and released in a video by the Modesto Police Department. The recording indicated that Seever had purchased a firearm the night before, and had made vague threats toward his relatives. According to a press release by the Modesto Police Department, Seever had send text messages to his family indicating he was on his way to their home.

In a video briefing posted to the department’s YouTube channel, Interim Police Chief Brandon Gillespie stated that officers had previous contact with Seever, who had made anti-law enforcement posts to his social media accounts earlier in the month. This prompted safety bulletins to be distributed to responding officers.

Lamantia was first to arrive in the area and located Seever at the Modesto Church of the Brethren on Woodland Avenue. Bodycam video released by the department shows the officer with his gun already in hand before exiting his vehicle and firing his gun at Seever less than ten seconds after he spotted the individual. It is unclear what Seever was doing at the church before he was located, but relatives on Saturday stated he was sitting on a bench.

Within those ten seconds, Lamantia broadcasted over his radio that he was engaging in a foot pursuit and shouted for Seever to get on the ground twice before opening fire. Four shots were fired at Seever, who was near the northwest corner of a building at the church complex approaching a parking lot. The unclear video appears to show Seever attempting to run away.

Lamantia advanced and ordered Seever to show his hands after broadcasting he had fired his weapon. In the background, Seever can be seen with his hands raised. The officer then provided his location to dispatch as Seever can be seen moving his right arm in the background. It is unclear if he was holding onto something to maintain balance, however his left arm can still be seen raised as Lamantia fires his weapon again. At this point in the video, Seever falls over screaming in pain. The officer then advances to cover behind a tree.

Seever was provided aid by officers and rushed to a hospital, but he later died. Officers were unable to find a weapon at the scene.

“I haven’t even watched the whole thing,” said Katrina Rodriguez in regard to the police video. “It’s ridiculous to see how destructive and horrific he went in with the intent to kill my cousin.”

Although she described the body cam video as difficult to watch, Rodriguez said she and her family are glad that it exists.

“How many people were shot and killed without a bodycam? Thankfully we got to see the bodycam, but how many didn’t have that?” Rodriguez said her family believes the video is vital evidence that can potentially shed light on her cousin’s case. She questioned why the officer was allowed to remain on the force given his history.

Lamantia was involved in several other shootings, some of them fatal. On September 6th 2010, Francisco Moran was shot and killed after police responded to a disturbance. It was believed Moran was armed with a knife, but it was later determined to be a spatula. In June of 2016, Lamantia was involved in a shooting during a narcotics operation that killed 21 year old Omar Villagomez in Turlock. The shooting happened near the Starbucks at West Main Street and Highway 99. Later that year on October 8th, Lamantia would also be involved in a shooting that killed Kim Jackson. Jackson, a 53 year old woman, was armed with knives and charged officers during that incident according to a press release. On October 20th 2020, Lamantia was involved in the shooting of double homicide suspect David Cummings Jr. in Stockton. He survived that shooting and is currently awaiting trial.

“It sucks that it has to be this way,” Seever’s cousin continued. “Maybe it’s all for a reason. Maybe they will finally see the consequences.”

The group left signs and posters on the steps and memorial statue at the police department. Some notes had expletives directed toward the officer, while others asked for justice in the loss of their relative.

Rodriguez said her family was looking into legislation like Assembly Bill 392 which redefines the circumstances in which deadly use of force by police is justifiable. Under that law, deadly force can only be used when defending against imminent threat to life or bodily injury, or to apprehend a fleeing suspect when the officer believes they will cause serious injury or death unless immediately apprehended.

Seever’s loved ones said no matter the circumstances, they did not anticipate his death to be an outcome and believe he could still be alive had a different officer responded first.

“You do not get to choose who lives or dies because you want to be the savior of the day,” Rodriguez added.

Carlos Rodriguez is an Emmy Award winning photojournalist specializing in public safety and natural disasters. His passion for local news stems from a deep commitment to his community, with a selfless mission to inform the citizens of the valley. As he worked on assignment for 19 days at the devastating Camp Fire in Paradise, California, he spent most of his time helping survivors contact their loved ones to let them know they were ok. Carlos is a veteran of Univision, FOX, and Telemundo TV stations and a native of Modesto, California.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Robbery Suspect Arrested in Lodi

Gaby Muro

Published

on

Photo: Lodi Police Department

LODI – Lodi Police said a suspect wanted for an armed robbery that occurred January 9th in a Walmart parking lot was arrested.

According to police, 26-year-old Troy Rose was identified by detectives as the suspect in the robbery.

After arrest and search warrants for his apartment were issued, Rose left the area as detectives were waiting to arrest him and a perimeter in the area was established.

Authorities said Rose was found hiding in a backyard of a nearby home and was taken into custody.

During the search in Rose’s apartment several illegally obtained firearms, ammunition, body armor, and jewelry from the robbery were found.

Rose was booked on several charges including robbery, resisting arrest, and multiple weapons violations.

Troy Rose. Photo: Lodi Police Department

Continue Reading

News

Stockton Police Investigate Homicide

Gaby Muro

Published

on

STOCKTON – Police investigated a homicide Thursday evening after a man arrived at a hospital with gunshot wounds.

Authorities said at around 5:36 pm officers responded to the area of Seventh Street and Nightingale Avenue after a report of gunshots fired.

Arriving officers were able to locate a crime scene. It was the discovered that a 28-year-old shooting victim was privately transported from the area and arrived at an area hospital.

Police said the victim later died at the hospital and at the time of publication there was no motive or suspect information available.

Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the Stockton Police non-emergency number at (209) 937-8377 or the Investigations Division at (209) 937-8323.

Callers who wish to remain anonymous may contact Crime Stoppers at (209) 946-0600.

Continue Reading

News

Ceres Shooting Case Becomes Homicide

Gaby Muro

Published

on

CERES – A double shooting from Monday is now being investigated as a homicide after one victim died from his injuries.

The shooting happened on Malik Avenue near Strawberry Fields Park shortly before 9:00pm Monday.

At the time of the shooting, an official at the scene said one victim was struck in the elbow, the other victim was in surgery.

Ceres Police says investigators were notified January 15th that one of the shooting victims identified as 18-year-old Miguel Peña from Ceres died from his injuries.

Police said investigators are following up on several leads but ask that anyone living in the area who may have surveillance video from that day to contact Detective Jon Vera at (209) 538-5730.

No suspect information was released at the time of publication but anyone with information is encouraged to contact Officer Brian Petersen at (209) 538-5627. If callers wish to remain anonymous they can contact Crime Stoppers at (209) 521-4636 or 1-866-602-7463.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2020 Central Valley TV