Connect with us

News

Turlock Homelessness Emergency, Cleanup Planned For Thursday

Published

on

TURLOCK – A cleanup was planned for Thursday morning at a West Main Street property where a large homeless encampment established itself near several businesses.

City officials were at the camp Wednesday afternoon handing out notices to people staying there. The camp sits on property on the south side of West Main Street in between South Tully and South Soderquist Road. By Wednesday afternoon several of the campers were already packing up their belongings, and those with vehicles were working to get them roadworthy.

“None of us know where we are going to go,” said Dawn Ross, who temporarily found herself camping at the location for the last week after her vehicle broke down. Ross said she became homeless off and on after losing her job 11 years ago during the great recession.

“I tried to get the part for it, but we got the wrong one,” she said of her car. “Hopefully we can get the car fixed by tomorrow.”

Turlock Mayor Amy Bublak said in a video statement that the city is working toward a solution.

“No one should live like that, no one should have their businesses harmed or the residents harmed by all that’s going on,” the mayor said. “It’s a health and safety hazard for everyone involved.”

Back at the camp, Ross explained that in an ideal situation, no one wanted to be camped at the property. She feels that the cleanups are not a long term solution to the problem.

“I wish Turlock could do something like what Modesto did,” she said. Ross referred to the Modesto Outdoor Emergency Shelter that was implemented in 2019.

“Just designate a space for these people. Somewhere out of sight and out of mind.”

Ross acknowledged that some people experiencing homelessness traditionally have problems that require rehabilitation, but feels there is a lack of services provided in the Turlock area for them.

“This is going to push people into alleyways, into the doorsteps of businesses and parks,” Ross explained. “At least everyone was confined right here.”

Advocates visited the camp Wednesday to offer what little outreach they could to the population there. Some explained that people experiencing homelessness have a hard time transitioning to a shelter due to rules and curfews set at facilities.

“They’re not animals, they’re human beings,” Ross said. “People need to have compassion. We’re all just a few steps away from homelessness, it can happen to anybody.”

Carlos Rodriguez is an Emmy Award winning photojournalist specializing in public safety and natural disasters. His passion for local news stems from a deep commitment to his community, with a selfless mission to inform the citizens of the valley. As he worked on assignment for 19 days at the devastating Camp Fire in Paradise, California, he spent most of his time helping survivors contact their loved ones to let them know they were ok. Carlos is a veteran of Univision, FOX, and Telemundo TV stations and a native of Modesto, California.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Bomb Squad Called to Mobile Home Park

Published

on

STANISLAUS COUNTY – The Stanislaus County Sheriff Bomb Squad responded to a mobile home park Wednesday afternoon for a report of a suspicious package.

The incident happened on the 8000 block of Jantzen Road. Sheriff deputies responded and temporarily closed off access to the park and evacuated neighboring homes.

The Sheriff Bomb Squad later determined the package to be a box of magnets wrapped in leather. The box was delivered to the residence, however no one had ordered it, according to authorities at the scene.

By 3:15pm, access to the park was re-opened to residents.

Continue Reading

News

Shooting Victim Expected to Survive

Published

on

HUGHSON – Authorities investigated a shooting that injured a 27 year old man Monday afternoon.

The shooting happened shortly before 1:00pm at a mobile home park on Nunes Road, just outside of Keyes. Early reports indicated an argument between a man and a woman had taken place. The report also indicated that the man was trying to enter the woman’s home and she was being attacked.

Deputies found the man in the driveway of the residence suffering from a gunshot wound. He was taken to a hospital for treatment and was expected to survive.

The involved woman received minor injuries. Authorities do not believe she is the shooter in the case.

Crime scene technicians and investigators responded to examine the scene and gather evidence, however no suspect identity was available Monday afternoon.

Anyone with information regarding this case is encouraged to contact Detective Esquivez at (209) 567-4466 or Crime Stoppers at (209) 521-4636 where callers can remain anonymous.

Continue Reading

News

Authorities Capture Amber Alert Suspect Wanted for Murder

Published

on

Photo: San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office

CONTRA COSTA COUNTY – Authorities on Saturday announced the capture of D Angelo Webb after acting on a tip.

Webb was arrested after five hours of negotiation with the Contra Costa County Sheriff’s Office. A community tip was credited in helping locate Webb on Ambrose Avenue in the city of Bay Point.

Residents in the home where Webb was found were evacuated, while authorities negotiated for his surrender.

Webb was wanted for the murder of 24 year old Brandi Hornsby and attempted murder of her mother. Authorities allege that Webb stabbed Hornsby’s mother on the 3900 block of East Fremont Street in Stockton. Hornsby was found deceased in the home.

An Amber Alert was issued the night of the attack for six week old Ggiana Webb. The child was located safe with a relative within a couple hours the same night.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2021 Central Valley TV