STOCKTON – A police officer and suspect both died after a shooting that began as a domestic violence investigation Tuesday morning.
At about 9:45am dispatchers received a report of a disturbance on the 4400 block of La Cresta Way. The person who called said they heard screaming and saw a woman with a ripped shirt who was bleeding and appeared to have been assaulted.
Police Officer Jimmy Inn was dispatched to the call and arrived on scene shortly after 10:00am and knocked on the door. Inn was met with a voice from inside the home that said “Hey police,” and a man opened the door and shot him multiple times.
A second officer, Pancho Freer, arrived on scene just as the shooting occurred. Authorities said the suspect was seen standing over Officer Inn holding a gun. The suspect then fired at Freer, striking his patrol car. Officer Freer shot back from inside his patrol car, causing the suspect to retreat back into his home.
The suspect then came out again, this time holding his eight year old son. Officer Freer gave the suspect commands, but he refused and began to strangle the child. A nearby witness then tackled the suspect, freeing the child. Officer Freer then fired his weapon multiple times, hitting the suspect.
Life saving measures were performed on both the suspect and Officer Inn. They were both taken to hospitals, but both died from their injuries. The eight year old boy was medically cleared and then released to his mother.
A multi agency investigation was launched, closing off much of the neighborhood all day Tuesday. Agencies including California Department of Justice, ATF, and District Attorney Investigators all responded to assist in the investigation.
Officer Jimmy Inn was hired in December of 2015 and assigned to the field operations division. He was a member of the police department’s honor guard. He is survived by his wife Tela, who is also a Stockton Police Officer, a seven month old son and two step children ages 12 and 14.
Officer Pancho Freer was placed on administrative leave for three days. He was hired in April of 2012 and assigned to the Field Operations Division.
The suspect was identified late Tuesday night as 30 year old Lance Lowe. A Glock handgun was found during a search of his residence.
The female victim in the case was said to have walked away from the scene shortly before officers arrived. Investigators are trying to find her to get a statement.
Schools Locked Down for Suspect Search
MODESTO – Two schools were placed on lockdown during a search for a suspect Friday afternoon.
The incident happened at about 1:00pm when a Stanislaus County Sheriff Deputy noticed a vehicle that had been reported stolen on Dallas Street near Glenn Avenue. The driver of the stolen vehicle appeared to be talking to someone in the area, according to officials at the scene.
The driver ran away on foot as deputies made their approach. The man jumped fences through a yard and fled into an alleyway. The Stanislaus Sheriff Air Unit spotted the man making his way into a yard on Las Vegas Street.
Bret Harte Elementary and Hanshaw Middle School were placed on lockdown as a search team was organized. Within a few minutes the man was located hiding under a vehicle and quickly detained without incident.
By 2:00pm the lockdowns were lifted. No injuries were reported.
Stockton Police Investigate Fatal Shooting
STOCKTON – Police investigated the fatal shooting of a man in broad daylight Tuesday afternoon.
At about 3:30pm Officers responded to the 900 block of Porter Avenue for a report of a shooting. A 29 year old man was found at the scene suffering from at least one gunshot wound. He was taken by ambulance to a hospital where he died from his injuries.
Residents in the area reported hearing a gunshot shortly before police arrived.
Porter Avenue was closed by authorities while detectives responded to investigate the case. No suspect information or motive was available Tuesday night.
Anyone with information regarding this case is encouraged to contact police at (209) 937-8377 or Crime Stoppers at (209) 946-0600 where callers can remain anonymous.
Woman Involved in Amber Alert Found Safe
MODESTO – The woman involved in a recent Amber Alert that involved children and a suspect found in Modesto was found safe Monday, authorities said.
Mariela Costello, 32, was found safe although further details regarding her location were not provided.
Costello was identified as a previously unreported missing person by the Riverside County Sheriff’s Office. Out of state relatives became concerned when they did not hear from her sometime around September 16th.
Investigators turned their focus on 34 year old Nicholas Zeko who told authorities he left the woman in Moreno Valley, but kept her wallet and cell phone. Authorities issued an Amber Alert after Zeko fled with their two children, claiming their lives were in imminent danger.
Zeko and the two children were found in Modesto at the Tiki Lodge on McHenry Avenue. A Modesto Police officer noticed his SUV that had its trim freshly painted. Zeko was quickly detained without incident.
News1 year ago
Major Crash Investigated in Tracy
Traffic12 months ago
Child Airlifted From Ceres Car Crash
Traffic11 months ago
Police Investigate Major Crash in Modesto
News10 months ago
Two Arrested in Child’s Death
News8 months ago
Fundraiser Established For Ceres Homicide Victim
News1 year ago
Stabbing Investigated in South Modesto
News1 year ago
Missing Modesto Woman Found Safe
News9 months ago
Double Shooting Investigated in Ceres